Paying Through Venmo
Venmo is now part of PayPal, which means there are more merchants than ever before that support Venmo payments. Merchants that accept PayPal don’t necessarily also accept Venmo payments, however.
Finding a merchant that accepts these payments, unfortunately, isn’t nearly as simple as it should be. Currently, Venmo is available as a payment option in select merchant apps and for select merchants on a mobile browser. To check out at these supported merchants using Venmo, you will need to have the Venmo app installed on your mobile phone and will need to opt-in to make purchases. From there, you can make your purchase.
- Have the latest version of the Venmo app on your mobile device.
- Allow Cookies for Venmo access in your device's native browser.
- Connect Browsers to your Venmo app.
How to Allow Cookies for Venmo Access
For iOS devices:
- Allow Safari to accept cookies from websites you visit. To allow cookies, go to your device’s Settings > Safari. From there, scroll down to the "Privacy & Security" section, and make sure that "Prevent Cross-Site Tracking" and "Block All Cookies" are toggled OFF (not green) as indicated in the screenshot below.
- We all value our privacy, but to make purchases with Venmo, you can't use Private Browsing in Safari.
For Android devices:
- Allow Chrome to accept cookies from websites you visit. To allow cookies, go to Chrome’s Settings > Site settings > Cookies.
- We all value our privacy, but to make purchases with Venmo, you can’t use Incognito Mode in Chrome.
How to Connect Your Native Browser to the Venmo App
- In the Venmo app, open the menu by pressing the in the upper right corner.
- Choose the "Settings" option.
- Under the "Buying" section, choose "Connect Browsers" (may also be called "Enable Mobile Web Purchases").
- If you're on an iPhone, choose "Safari". If you're on an Android device, choose "Google Chrome".
- You may be redirected to your browser at this point and be given the option to "Open this page in Venmo". Simply click "Open" to be redirected to the Venmo app, and you're all set!
Check your Venmo App Version
Venmo payments are supported on the following Venmo app versions:
- 6.16.0 or later for iOS
- 6.20.0 or later for Android
- 7.5.0 or later for iOS/Android mobile web
To check the Venmo app version:
- Log into the Venmo app
- Open the menu in the upper left-hand corner
- Click Settings
The version number will be displayed at the bottom of the Settings page.
Still Need Help?
If you have tried everything above and it's still not working please send us a message on Instagram: @Oldschoolhat